We love the sound that Kadija Kamara gives us in her new EP Nothing left to Lose. The artist shares her own brand of soul with a voice that oscillates between soft power and complete assurance. The EP is out right now for purchase! http://smarturl.it/NothingLeftToLoseEP
Kadija Kamara’s EP Track Listings
- Nothing Left To Lose – Soundcloud | Spotify
Written By: Kadija Kamara
Produced By: Tony Hayden & Max Grunhard
Bass By: Derek McIntyre
Drums By: Lewis Kirk
- Running In The Name Of The Game
- Eyes On You
- Like You
About the tracks on the EP
- Nothing Left To Lose: Dirty southern guitars squalling major pentatonic blues licks provide the stage Kadija struts on. A tale of abuse and damaged self-esteem turned to something empowering through Kadija’s pitch-perfect high notes and Mick Jagger swagger, it’s a powerful journey into the emotional hinterlands of her great songwriting, and a telling sign of her sweeping ambition.
- About Running In The Name Of The Game: Offering contrast to the disco-ball shimmer of ‘Eyes On You’, this is the other butt-shaker on Nothing Left To Lose. With sophisticated vocal layering and an atavistic rhythm you can feel as well as hear, Kadija’s describes the perennial race against time for those with big dreams running against the clock of youth and life.
- About Eyes On You: Kadija’s full-bodied vocals soar atop music that sonically evokes the Black Keys or White Stripes school of contemporary rock and roll. With gloriously off-kilter synth arrangements and an invigorating sugar-rush chorus, it’s a technicolor joyride through styles and tones that are both familiar and thrillingly futuristic.
- About Like You: The EP’s closer is a powerful meditation on selfhood, vulnerability, dreams and love, replete with beautiful choral moments and heart-aching strings. Her vocal range here carries us beyond the imprecision of words and into the tender feelings that we all recognise but can’t describe.
About Kadija Kamara
Based in London, Kadija Kamara is a singer songwriter who best describes her sound as ‘Alt Soul’. With a love of 60’s and 70’s analogue sounds, Kadija combines her affinity for retro soul music with a host of modern influences. To date, her accomplishments include winning the MTV Iggy Artist Of The Week poll, voted by readers and being awarded funding for her Artist Development Programme by PRS for Music. From collaborations with the likes of Joey Negro, Zeb Bias plus many more, to backing vocals for Zara McFarlane on …Later With Jools Holland. Kadija has released records under various labels, including Z Records, Defected, and Soul Heaven among others.
Kadija recently curated a night called Lady, which showcases leading female musicians in the underground and commercial music scenes. She currently holds a residency at the popular Music venue ‘The Finsbury’, with label/promoters Lost In The Manor. Its huge running success led to the first Lady Festival at ‘Pop Brixton’ in October last year, marking the first Birthday of LADY & LADY Live Events.
Having had the stunning ‘Eyes On You’ selected by readers for Tom Robinson’s Fresh On The Net’, and with praise from CLASH, The Revue, FAME Magazine, Get In Her Ears, and Hype Machine to name a few, the stage is set for her long-awaited EP Nothing Left To Lose. It’s a diverse set of songs showcasing her broad emotional range and tinderbox potential. Mostly, it’s a clear indicator that Kadija is a free-thinking experimentalist producing work that is totally unique and risque, and that already puts her ahead in the game.