The PGS Experience feat. Mindi Abair: 1inMusic Review
New-York-based Robert Miller’s Project Grand Slam release The PGS Experience featuring two-time Grammy Nominee and LA musician Mindi Abair. The 9-track album incorporates Jazz, Funk, Rock, electronic guitar, sultry sax and Latin accents. The album title, work the PGS experience, sums up the work very well. It is a uniquely passionate take on Jazz fusion that demonstrates the band’s love for their art as they perform new tracks penned by musician Robert Miller and tackle reimagined classic covers (including Cream’s I’m so Glad). The album includes five new studio-recorded tracks and four live performances, showcasing the breadth of musicianship. The presence of saxophonist Mindi Abair just reinforces that feeling of crafty musicians having a great time doing their thing and sharing their passion with their audiences.
Their fifth CD comes after 2016 The Queen’s carnival, and delivers an entertaining and varied experience throughout. It alternates between instrumental, vocal-led and sax-led pieces. It rocks at time (I’m so glad), kind of bringing out the rebel inside with its Rock-infused moments electric-guitar-led moments. It evokes the Latin dancer at other times, Jazzing up the movement in pieces such as The Queen’s Carnival and more Island vibes in Fishin’. Mindi Abair’s sax originally complements this latter track. The whole blend takes us to different times, moods and places while keeping some Jazzy undertone, making it a fun and engaging musical experience and a difficult one to listening to sitting still. Our favourite track is the Metro Shuffle track, which Mindi Abair’s performance further empowers.
About the album (and the band)
Project Grand Slam is the brainchild of acclaimed bassist/composer Robert Miller. The album includes five new studio tracks and four live performances. It features special guest Mindi Abair, a renowned saxophonist and two-time Grammy nominee, on two original studio songs, the introductory “Metro Shuffle” and third track ‘Fishin’.
All songs are written and arranged by Robert Miller and published by Cakewalk Global Publishing (BMI); except Free which was written by Ernest Anastasio and Thomas Marshall and published by Who Is She Music Inc.; I’m So Glad written by Nehemiah Curtis “Skip” James and published by Wynwood Music Co. Inc.; You Really Got Me written by Ray Davies and published by Sony/ATV Songs LLC OBO Jay-Boy Music Corp.; and Fire written by Jimi Hendrix and published by Experience Hendrix LLC.
Of the album, Robert Miller says; “I feel like ‘The PGS Experience’ captures the band better and more fully than any of our previous albums. Our music drives the line between rock and jazz. The power and emotion of the music, the diversity of the songs, and the studio tracks together with the live performances, all combine to showcase the band better than ever before. I am thrilled to have the incredibly talented Mindi Abair as our Special Guest.”
The PGS Experience With Mindi Abair was released June 30th 2017 on Cakewalk Records.
The PGS Experience Track List
- Metro Shuffle (3:16) ft. Mindi Abair – a funky ode to Robert’s hometown of New York City and it’s wonderfully hectic pace – our favourite track
- Free (4:23) – cover of jam band super group Phish arranged by Robert Miller
- Fishin (5:51) ft. Mindi Abair
- Hollywood (4:57) – new studio track, upbeat, driving song by Robert Miller that captures the frenetic Tinseltown pace
- I’m So Glad (4:11) – Cream’s cover arranged by Robert Miller, coinciding with the 50th anniversary of Cream’s debut album containing that song,
- Gorilla (Live) (3:33)
- You Really Got Me (Live) (4:17)
- The Queen’s Carnival (Live) (4:48)
- Fire (Live) (4:56)
The PGS Experience Performers
- Electric Bass – Robert Miller
- Saxophone – Mario Castro
- Keyboards – Marcello Casagrandi
- Drums – Joel E. Mateo
- Guitar – Tristan Clark and Flavio Silva
- Percussion – Guillermo Barron Rios
- Singer – Ziarra Washington
- Guest artist – Saxophone: Mindi Abair
- Produced by Robert Miller and Lou Holtzman
- Engineered and Mastered by Lou Holtzman
Recorded at EastSide Sound, NYC
Find out more about The PGS Experience and Robert Miller’s Project Grand Slam at: