I Write The Songs #122 Mark Knopfler is the featured songwriter of the week or maybe Dire Straits is, it is that difficult to separate them in this selection as only the band’s releases are featured.
Now the sun’s gone to hell and
The moon’s riding high
Let me bid you farewell
Every man has to die
But it’s written in the starlight
And every line in your palm
We are fools to make war
On our brothers in arms
I Write The Songs #122 Mark Knopfler – part 1
- London Grammar, Stay Awake, 3:05, If You Wait, Indie Rock, 2013, Daniel Rothman/Dot Major
- Jamie Williams & The Roots Collective Native American 4:11 Un-Herd: Volume 59 R2 2016
- Marina Florance, Every Woman, 3.47
- Dire Straits, So far away, track 1 of the popular Brother in arms
Mark Knopfler difficult to separate from his band, even as the songwriter
Not just melody makers and guitar craft artists or deep lyricist, but it is the way that even within the melody, they are also memorable meta-melodies or melodic accentuation here and there put forward by guitar riffs and just intros and outros that are memorable. The singing is my kind of thing, not a superficial showcase of vocals, just a characterisation
- Michelle Walsh, Stupid I, 3:55 Fire Away EP, Michelle Walsh
- Dire Straits, Sultans of swing, 05.45, Dire Straits, 1978-1979
I Write The Songs #122 Mark Knopfler – part 2
- Mariah Carey, I’ll be there (unplugged), 4.42, MTV Unplugged [Live] [EP], 1994, Berry Gordy, Hal Davis, Bob West, and Willie Hutch.
- Ballaké Sissoko & Vincent Ségal, Super Étoile 3:57 Songlines Music Awards 2016 Other 2016, Mali / France classically Vincent Ségal, is a French cellist and bassist born in 1967 in the French city of Reims.
- Alden, Patterson And Dashwood The Moon Song 4:06 Fatea Showcase Session Spring 17 Thawing
- Lighthouse Family, Lost in space, 5.21, 1998
- Jeanes, Simple Jayne (With Morning Blackbirds), 3:18, Jeanes, Catherine Hershey on vocals
I Write The Songs #122 Mark Knopfler – part 3
- Dire Straits, Your Latest trick, 6:33, UK
- Danielle Lewis Along This Time 4:20 Fatea Showcase Session Spring 17 Thawing 148 2017
- Calming River, For The Echoes To See, 3.08, single released Friday 26th May 2017, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyXxL6o_Bhk
website | facebook | soundcloud | twitter | bandcamp
Delicate, tender and poignant, “Fragile & Atmospheric Alt-Folk” English Alt/Folk Via Denmark.
- Dire Straits, Brothers in arms, Brothers in Arms, Mark Knofler, 1982 (the year of the Falklands War and re-released in 2007 for the 25th anniversary of the conflict).